The Highlands Trail follows the Northwest River Trail in western Lancaster County for eleven (11) miles from Bainbridge to Columbia.
Highlands Trail Route
Beginning in the village of Bainbridge, in Conoy Township, the Northwest River Trail heads south along the west bank of the Susquehanna River. The trail travels through East Donegal Township and into the Borough of Marietta. Following the bend in the river the Northwest River Trail heads into West Hempfield Township and Chickies Rock County Park. Continuing south, the trail heads into the Borough of Columbia where it crosses the Susquehanna River on Veterans Memorial Bridge/Route 462.
Some sections of the trail paved with asphalt and other sections are surfaced with crushed stone.
Susquehanna Heritage has prepared a brochure with a map showing trail access points, including ADA access points, that can be found here.
Trail Access Points
The Northwest River Trail can be accessed at the following points:
- Bainbridge Access (Koser Park, 107 Race St, Bainbridge)
- Riverfront Park Access (551 Vinegar Ferry Rd, Marietta)
- Decatur Street Access (west end of Decatur Street, Marietta)
- Marietta Access (Chickies Rock County Park, 29 Furnace Rd, Marietta)
- Columbia River Park Access (41 Walnut St, Columbia)
- Koser Park, Bainbridge
- White Cliffs of Conoy, (on the trail, Marietta)
- Borough of Marietta
- Chickies Rock County Park (880 Chickies Hill Rd, Columbia)
- Borough of Columbia
- Columbia Crossing River Trails Center (41 Walnut St, Columbia)