2018 was another busy year for AMC staff, the Highlands Trail Steering Committee and the volunteer Highlands Trail Stewards. Read on for last year’s accomplishments.
The Highlands Trail Steering Committee met six times throughout the year to discuss the latest projects and issues concerning trail development in the Lehigh Valley and Bucks and Montgomery Counties. Projects that AMC staff and members of the Steering Committee worked on include:
- Continued planning the development of the 3.0 mile Upper Bucks Rail Trail (Springfield and Richland Townships)
- Worked with the Tollgate Landing HOA to complete the Trail Feasiblity Study (Richland and Milford Townships)
- Worked with the Boy Scouts and Marlborough Township to complete the Musser Scout Camp Trail Feasiblity Study (Marlborough Township, Montgomery County)
- Installation of PHTN intrepretive kiosks in Berks, Bucks and Northampton Counties
- Worked with the D&L National Heritage Area and Bucks County to develop a new trailhead on Route 32 in Bridgeton Township that provides access to the D&L Trail and Ringing Rocks Park; and
- Installation of directional signage marking the PHTN route within Quakertown Borough.
Highlands Trail Stewards
The Highlands Trail Stewards were very active this year, working to maintain and build trails and install signage in Ringing Rocks County Park and at the end of 2018, beginning development of a natural surface nature trail in Veterans Park, Richland Township.
The Steering Committee and Highlands Trail Stewards look forward to a productive year of planning and developing more sections of the Pennsylvania Highlands Trail Network.