The current trail planning focus for the Highlands Trail project is to close gaps along the conceptual route between the Delaware River (D&L Trail) and the Perkiomen Trail. Recently completed Highlands Trail projects and projects that are underway are included below:
- The Upper Bucks Rail Trail is in the construction phase. To the north, this trail will connect to the Saucon Rail Trail at the Lehigh County line in Coopersburg. To the south, the Upper Bucks Rail Trail will travel through Richland and Springfield Townships, Bucks County. This 3.0 mile shared use trail should be constructed by the end of summer 2020.
- In 2019, two feasibility studies, for the Tollgate Landing HOA (Bucks County) and the Musser Scout Reservation (Montgomery County) were completed.
- In 2019, a Schuylkill Highlands Mini-grant was received to prepare a Trail Feasibility Study for the Unami Creek Trail in Milford Township.
- A new trailhead on the north side of River Road in Bridgeton Township opened in 2019. This trailhead will provide access to the D&L Trail, Delaware Canal State Park and Ringing Rocks County Park.
- In the summer of 2018, the directional signage marking the Highlands Trail route through the Borough of Quakertown was installed.