About the Pennsylvania Highlands Trail Network
The Pennsylvania Highlands Trail Network (PHTN) is a connected network of recreational trails located within the 1.9 million-acre, 13 county Pennsylvania Highlands region. The PHTN extends the New York-New Jersey Highlands Trail into Pennsylvania beginneing at the Delaware River in Riegelsville. The PHTN heads west to the junction of the Mason-Dixon and Appalachian Trails in the Whiskey Springs Uplands of Cumberland County. Along the way, the PHTN co-aligns with several existing trails and creates a trail network across a variety of landscapes. The PHTN includes paved multi-use trails such as the Schuylkill River Trail and rugged footpaths like the Horse-Shoe Trail. The PHTN includes a spectrum of trail types to accommodate a wide range of uses including hiking, horseback riding, cross country skiing and other forms of non-motorized recreation. Portions of the trail are also ADA-accessible. The use(s) permitted on a particular trail are determined by the landowner and/or trail manager. The PHTN is a Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR) designated State-wide Major Greenway.
The PHTN is made possible thanks to our members, supporters and funders, including:
The William Penn Foundation, founded in 1945 by Otto and Phoebe Haas, works to close the achievement gap for low-income children, ensure a sustainable environment, foster creativity that enhances civic life, and advance philanthropy in the Philadelphia region. With assets of nearly $2 billion, the Foundation distributes approximately $80 million in grants annually. Learn more about the Foundation at www.williampennfoundation.org.
Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources: PHTN projects are financed in part by grants from the Community Conservation Partnerships Program, Keystone Recreation, Park and Conservation Fund and/or Environmental Stewardship Fund, under the administration of the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, Bureau of Recreation and Conservation.
The M. Edward Morris Foundation